The best nutrition you can give your baby is breast milk. Since it’s national nutrition month, here are nine amazing facts provided by the New York State Department of Health Women, Infant and Children (W.I.C.) website about breastfeeding that you may not know:
- Breast milk protects your baby against allergies, obesity, and diseases, such as diabetes and cancer.
- Breastfed babies score higher on IQ tests.
- Breastfeeding is good for the environment because it does not create waste, and therefore is the most sustainable way to feed your baby.
- It supplies all the proper nutrition your baby needs in the right portions.
- Mothers who breastfeed have a reduced risk for type 2 diabetes.
- Many breastfeeding mothers find it easier to return to what they weighed before they got pregnant than if they had chosen not to breastfeed.
- Breastfeeding strengthens the bond between mother and child.
- Breast milk is easily digested and does not cause your baby to have constipation or diarrhea.
- Breast milk is the perfect food for your baby!!
Please share with us your personal reasons why you chose to breastfeed your baby by commenting on this post.
For more information, please visit: http://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/nutrition/wic/breastfeeding/importance.htm