Most of the tips I suggest below are things you have probably heard or read about before. However it’s always nice to have a friendly reminder, especially about important things. Today I’m reminding you that being mindful of what you eat is a way of giving thanks to yourself. Empower yourself by eating well so you can share your healthy lifestyle with your family and friends and set a good example.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Make sure to eat breakfast and lunch. This helps curb appetite, controls temptation and prevents overeating later in the day.
- Take a walk around the block before you sit down for dinner. Work up an appetite and invite family members to join you.
- Portion sizes are key. Limit your choices to one 9” dinner plate, and have second helpings only if you are still hungry.
- Add color to your plate. The more color, the more vitamins and minerals.
- Eat in a separate room from where the food is served. For example, serve dishes in the kitchen and then eat in the dining room. Removing the serving bowls and platters from the table makes it easier to avoid overeating.
- Stop eating when you feel full. Enjoy the leftovers for lunch the next day.
- Eat slowly and enjoy the company of family and friends. Talk more and eat less by putting your fork down in between bites.
- 3-4 bites of your favorite dessert can be as satisfying as eating the whole thing, especially if it helps you stay on track to becoming healthier.
For more: http://www.eatright.org/
Happy mindful eating!