When it comes to health strategies, often times we forget about the simple things that we can do to improve our health. Thankfully, many of these options are easy and can be accomplished at little-to-no cost. In fact, a simple way to reduce cancer risk is one that people who live in the US can do daily with little effort.
Obviously water is vital to our overall health, but how many times have you went almost an entire day without so much as a sip and then drink excessively after feeling a strong sense of thirst? Or, you aren’t drinking water, but sugary soft drinks? If so, you could be chronically dehydrated and your health could be at risk. Not many people realize it, but drinking enough good fluids each day is one of the most important things we can do to look and feel our best. In fact, proper water consumption can help ease back and joint pain, boost metabolism and even reduce cancer risk by up to 79%!
Here are some interesting facts about how water intake influences our health:
• Up to 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (This likely applies to half the world population)
• Even MILD dehydration will slow down ones metabolism as much as 3%.
• One glass of water shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
• Lack of water is the number one trigger of daytime fatigue.
• A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy thinking.
• Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by up to 45%, the risk of breast cancer by up to 79%, and the risk of bladder cancer by up to 50%!
When you first start drinking the fluids that your body needs, you might experience increased urination as your body is used to utilizing whatever little moisture it receives to flush out toxins. However, keep drinking 8 to 10 glasses of fluids each day and before long you might notice a striking change in the way you look and feel. Changes may include brighter and clearer skin and better focus.
Also, as you continue to drink the appropriate amount of fluids, your body will start to trust that more is coming so it will help get rid of any water retention weight in your body. This will encourage weight to drop from problem areas such as the hips, ankles, stomach and thighs.